Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bro's Just Wanna Have Fun

Happy New Year! Welcome to the first blog of 2011. Today's library tale is one of intrigue, suspense, laughs, and tears* Take the jump for the full tale.

*Intrigue, suspense, and tears not guaranteed



In front of my desk at the library we have 5 express computers; terminals that are only available for 15 minutes at a time. These computers cause all sorts of issues with patrons. Disputes over time spent on these terminals, problems printing, and general impatience are common. So naturally when I noticed a rough looking fellow approach the line of 2 or 3 people on a quiet afternoon I braced for another episode.

The tough guy pulled out his music player, popped in the ear buds and began to pace back and forth calmly. Despite the music being loud enough for me to hear from 10 feet away, I figured this was going better than expected. As I turned back to my work I began to take note of the music that was drifting from the ear buds.

I expected to hear the likes of Tupac or some other gangster rap artist, but instead I hear the voice of Cyndi Lauper shouting about girls and their desire for fun. The urge to laugh was overwhelming as he began to strut back and forth in front of the desk. His pace wasn't to the beat of the song, as if he was trying to hide his guilty pleasure.

By some miracle I held in my laughter until the end of the song and he got his turn on the computer shortly thereafter. Guess it turned out my initial fear of an impending incident was unwarranted. After all, he was just looking for some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment