Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Local Book of the Month!


Hey there, I'm going to try something a little different today. As the title says I'm going to feature a local book, talk about it, and suggest you read it! Leave a comment if you like this kind of thing or if you have suggestions for local books you think I should feature.



This month's local book is Call/Response - Present, Past and Beyond.  It is essentially the lovechild of three Winnipeg organizations; Be:Cause Industries, Absurd Machine Studios, and publisher Alchemical Press. After three months of calling for public submissions they have assembled a visual, and personal history of the underground music scene in Winnipeg  from the last 30 years and the youth that have sustained it. Call/Response includes amateur photos, concert posters, and stories from 36 contributors in the first volume which is due out February 6th 2011.

Another great thing about this book is that a minimum of $10 from every sale will go to the Kids Help Phone. Unfortunately I've missed the cutoff for the reduced pre-sale price of $25 but once released Call/Response will sell for $40. Check out their website HERE for ordering info, or if you've got content you wish to submit they are still taking entries for Volume 2.

They are also holding a book release party at the West End Cultural Centre and info on that can be found HERE. So if you like local music, and/or books, and/or helping kids in need, get out there and get involved.

6 comments:

  1. Oh hey this is excellent! I can see this being a big success, Winnipeg prides itself in its local music talent ( and blushes when called out on its local young car-stealing talent.)

    Can't wait to see this one! I think this is one of those books I can say "I can't wait to look at the pictures!" and not sound like a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I will once I get it! I'm also looking into getting some copies for the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea. It breaks up the hilarity with some recognition for local talent. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I love reading about the history of Winnipeg and this book sounds awesome. More local book suggestions please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback guys! I've got a couple ideas for for next month's book so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete